PCOS is a hormonal disorder which is common in women of reproductive age. Polycystic ovary syndrome causes include hormone imbalance. This disorder affect 12 to 18 percent of women of 21 age and leads to infertility. PCOS Symptoms which are major include irregular menstrual periods, infertility and polycystic ovaries.
There are many other symptoms also but not necessary that all symptoms shown by women with PCOS. Disorder mainly affects the ovaries of female which are unable to produce eggs. Reason is due to cysts or follicles forms over it.
What is PCOS?
PCOS is Polycystic ovary syndrome. It is a hormonal disorder of women which mainly affects the ovaries. Hormones which regulates the natural menstrual cycle get affected.
There are three main features of the Polycystic ovary syndrome are irregular periods, excessive production of male hormone and cyst in the ovaries. All these causes long term health problems like infertility, diabetes, heart problems, hairs on the face and body etc.
Polycystic ovary syndrome Causes
There is not one cause for this disorder but there are many Polycystic ovary syndrome causes
- Genetic – Polycystic ovary syndrome can be genetic problem. It transfer from parents to children like daughters and sisters. And one more thing diabetes type 2 is more common in Pcos patient.
- Hormone imbalance – when ovaries produce excessive male hormone androgen also leads to PCOS. It causes acne, baldness or hair growth on the face and body of the female.
- Other hormone also get imbalances which leads to irregular periods in women.
- Over production of insulin – Women with Pcos has low ability to use insulin which is produce by pancreas. Because of that pancreas over produce insulin and affects the production of male hormone in female.
- Inflammation – Because of overweight inflammation occurs in the body. It is may be due to male hormone production that is androgen.
There are few major and some are common symptoms of the PCOS. These symptoms helps to diagnose the disorder and go for proper treatment.
- Irregular periods – Irregular or prolonged menstrual period cycles are the most common sign of PCOS. Period should come in every month but women with this disorder may have 7 to 8 periods per year.
- Heavy bleeding during periods – Due to irregularity in periods uterine lining builds up for a longer period of time. And it leads to heavier period than normal.
- Acne – Due to oily nature of breakouts of severe acne that on face, neck and chest areas are common.
- Hair growth – Excess male hormone production leads to hair growth pattern on face, chest and belly. This pattern is not common in normal women.
- Hair fall – Excessive hair fall leads to baldness or alopecia.
- Weight gain – Due to irregularity in the hormones like insulin cause obesity, weight gain and type 2 diabetes.
- Skin pigmentation – Dark patches of the skin appears on the body parts. Parts include neck, groin, and under the breasts.
PCOS leads to Or what happen to the body when you have PCOS?
If women is suffering with PCOS then women’s health may affects and leads to infertility.
- Infertility – women become fertile or get pregnant when her ovaries produces eggs during ovulation. But Pcos leads to irregularity in the periods which causes less production of eggs per cycle. This decreases the chances of getting fertilize with the sperm. It may also causes sometime miscarriage or premature birth.
- High blood pressure – Overweight and obesity can cause high blood pressure. And it increases the chances of heart problems.
- Sleep apnoea – Breathing problems during sleep. Because of overweight, fatty acids block the passage of the air ways leads to sleeping problems like sleep loss, insomnia and tiredness.
- Cancer – cancer of endometrial wall. It is due to irregular menstrual bleeding and thickening of uterine wall.
- Depression – depression, stress and anxiety can happen. Main reason behind is excessive hair growth on face, belly and neck. All these affects any female emotions.