The soft brainy structure inside the hard shell gives you many healthy reasons to eat. Due to its structure similar to the brain, it is often called as brain food. Nutritional value includes the energy of 190 calories in 30 grams, of walnuts.
These nuts are rich in omega-3 fats and contain higher amounts of antioxidants than most other foods. Eating walnuts may improve brain health while also helping to prevent heart disease and cancer
Two-thirds of the world’s walnut production happens in California.
Few health benefits of eating walnuts(brain food):
- Improve Heart Function: Walnuts consumption lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the level of good cholesterol (HDL). Walnuts are rich in omega-3 and source of monounsaturated fatty acids (72%) like oleic acid, which helps in lowers the risk of high blood pressure and heart diseases.
- Good for Bone health: EFAs from walnuts increase calcium absorption and deposition while reducing urinary calcium excretion.
- Control Diabetes: Walnuts contain a high amount of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats which help in controlling diabetes. Brain health: Walnuts can help with depression and age-related decline in brain function.
- Cancer prevention: The phenolic compounds and antioxidants found in walnuts help to control human cancer cells. Walnuts contain several bioactive components that have anti-cancer properties.
- Reduce Inflammation: The polyphenolic compounds and phytochemical substances found in walnuts reduce the effects of inflammation in the body.
- Induce Sleep: Melatonin, a hormone that helps induce and regulate sleep, is available in walnut.
- Mood Booster: Walnut provides omega-3 fatty acids whose deficiency causes hyperactivity and irritability. Walnut alleviates the mood.
- Skin Care: Walnuts are a good source of vitamin E, which is a strong antioxidant. The vitamin E present in them helps in maintaining and protecting the skin from free radicals that are harmful in nature.